Study Chinese and experience the unique Chinese culture during Summer holiday. Learn Chinese and practice the language on a daily basis in authentic real life environment. Plus the Real Life Instruction held once a week developed by Allied Gateway is specially designed to enhance your spoken language ability. Transcripts and certificate available. Electives include Chinese painting, Taiji Boxing, Chinese Knot and calligraphy.
Different mandarin level classes are available, from beginner, the intermediate to the advanced.
By placement tests, participants are distributed to classes matched.
Program Schedules and Dates
There are 2 stand alone terms freely to join in, each for 4 weeks.
Also, they can be applied together as an 8 weeks summer course.
Summer Program in
12 Jul -
|07 Aug -
||12 Jul -
* Classes will be offered on some of the weekends to make sure a full 4-week school days.
* The 8-week course is combined with 2 of 4-week courses. There is a one-day break between the 2 sessions.
Allied Gateway Real Life Instruction
Four electives on Chinese Culture
Huangpu River Night Cruise
Hangzhou Weekend (extra pay)
Ancient Town of Zhouzhuang (extra pay)
Allied Gateway Mandarin Immersion Program consists of three parts: University Class Training, Allied Gateway Real Life Instruction and Extra Curriculum Activities. The University Class Training integrates all different skills of the language: phonetics, speaking, listening, writing, reading, grammar and vocabulary. Allied Gateway Real Life Instruction is held every two weeks exclusively to Allied Gateway participants. Instructions occur in real life settings with one subject in each section. Subjects include eating, transportation, theatre, shopping, job-hunting, seeing a doctor etc. Extra
- Total immersion in Chinese environment
- Comprehensive language training in University
- Beginner to advanced level
- Free Allied Gateway Real Life Instruction
- Extra curriculum activates – weekend sightseeing and electives
Classes are divided into 3 basic levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced. A placement test will be conducted after enrolment.
Curriculum are designed to meet the needs of each proficiency level and the program length to ensure you progress rapidly and able to communicate in Chinese in a more effective and efficient manner.
|8:00 - 11:35
|14:00 – 15:30
afternoon Chinese class or
Excluding electives and other activities
Beginner Class Main Courses
Introductory Chinese, oral Chinese, listening comprehension and introductory Chinese reading
Intermediate Class Main Courses
Intermediate Intensive Chinese, Chinese Reading, Chinese Pronunciation, Fundamental Writing, Intermediate Chinese Listening Comprehension.
Advanced Class Main Courses
Advanced Chinese, Advanced Chinese Extensive Reading, Advanced Spoken Chinese, Chinese Literature, Applied Chinese Writing, An Introduction to Chinese Culture.
- All the classes integrate all the different skills of the language: listening, speaking, reading, writing, grammar, phonetics and vocabulary.
- All levels offered
- Practical, concise and up-to-date materials are used
Electives and Activities
Electives: Chinese painting, Chinese calligraphy, Lecture on Chinese knot, Lecture on Taiji boxing
Activities: Huangpu River Night Cruise, acrobatics show, Shanghai museum, Shanghai museum of Chinese medicine.
Focuses and objectives
- Solid foundation of Phonetic knowledge
- Chinese character structure
- Basic listening, speaking, reading and writing skills
- Simple sentences and daily conversations
- Greetings/ introductions, money/numbers and dates
- Social introductions, discussing weather, asking directions
- Chinese culture
- Able to travel in China comfortably
- Order food, shopping and bargaining
- Simple words and sentence recognition
- Vocabulary building and sentence structure in expressing opinions, likes and dislikes and feelings
- Discussions and descriptions: hobbies, interests, job, family, hometown
- Comprehensive reading: newspaper and other materials
- Culture understanding
- Able to communicate and interact in Chinese with locals
- Able to express himself and opinions
- Able to talk about daily activities & feelings
- Enhancing students’ overall Chinese language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing)
- helping students contact to and understanding further and wider of Chinese culture and society.
- Able to work in a Chinese language environment
- Able to live by & take care of himself in a Chinese environment
Classes are divided into 10 levels so that you will be placed in the right level that suits you the most. An overall placement test including reading, writing, speaking and listening is carried out at the beginning of the program.
Evaluation and Certificates
Small quizzes will be carried out now and then to test the progress made by students. At the end of the program, a test will be conducted. Participants will receive official certificates including transcripts at the end of the program.
Campus Standard (Double/Single)
All the rooms are furnished with TV, bed, telephone, desk, chair, lamp, private bathroom and air-conditioning. There are communal kitchen and laundry room on each floor. Single and shared occupancy provided. Internet connection is provided.
Live with a local family. You will have your own room, with closet, bed, airconditioner and desk. Public shared facilities include kitchen, sitting room and bathroom. Breakfast & dinner is included.
In addition to the conditions provided the same as homestay, you are oblidged to exchange in English with the house owner for one hour per day.
Allied Gateway provides free airport arrival-pick-up service for program participants. Our staff will meet you at the arrival gate after you get your luggage and take you to your accommodation. You need to provide us with correct flight information – flight number / flight date / airport name 2 weeks before your program starts. To make sure smooth transition, you will be provided with Allied Gateway contact number before you come to China in case of last minute changes.
What Is Included
- Certificate and transcripts
- Allied Gateway Real Life Chinese Instruction
- Weekend sightseeing excursions and electives
- Airport arrival-pick-up
- Orientation package
- Map of Shanghai and China
- Small Chinese-English and English-Chinese dictionary
- Mobile card & pre-paid card (optional)
- Map of campus and the surrounding area
- Shanghai metro map
- English/Chinese menu
- Survival Chinese booklet
- Orientation on campus and the surrounding area
- Bank account setting-up
- Mobile purchasing
- Visa obtaining support
- Money exchange assistance
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- 24-hours/7-days emergency support
- On-call on-site assistance from Allied Gateway
How to Apply
To apply, you need to meet requirements below
1. Above 16 years old
2. Be in good health
For 4-week program day to day schedule, please click here
For 8-week program day to day schedule, please click here
For more information on How to Apply, please click here.
For Application Form, please click here.